Magnus Volk’s Electric Train of Thought
Step back to a time of engineering adventure and ingenuity. Brighton’s great Victorian inventor personally welcomes you back to the future to meet the challenge of making an electric train run along the coast out at sea! Find more information on the Brighton Fringe website
Volk’s Electric Railway trains will run between Easter and the end of October
Volk’s Electric Railway runs alongside the beach from Aquarium Station to Black Rock Station, with a further station halfway.
The Visitor Centre is located in Aquarium Station, south of Sea Life Brighton on Madeira Drive and approximately 300 metres east of Brighton Palace Pier. The Visitor Centre is open on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays between 10am and 4pm. Black Rock Station is 5 minutes walk from the shops, cafes, restaurants and attractions of Brighton Marina. The train Workshop is located near Halfway Station, next to Peter Pan’s playground. Tickets can be purchased at any of the three stations.
Visitors to Volk’s will have the first opportunity to see its new Aquarium Station & Visitor Centre with trains running every 30 minutes. Work to create a conservation workshop at the site of the former train sheds will continue over the autumn.
A return journey along the seafront takes 25 minutes, and passengers are welcome to get on or off at any of the 3 stops along the route. A family spotters guide is available, which can be used either on the train or on foot.
The trains can accommodate folded pushchairs and wheelchairs. Dogs are allowed.
The journey from Aquarium Station to Black Rock Station takes 12 minutes. The journey from either station to Halfway takes approximately 5 minutes.
The stations are accessible by wheelchair and pushchair. Wheelchairs and pushchairs must be folded to fit on the trains, or left on the platform at Aquarium Station (at owner’s risk).There is an accessible toilet in the Visitor Centre and accessible public toilets close to each station.
An induction loop is in operation at the Visitor Centre and at Black Rock Station.
Dogs are allowed on the trains, but need to be kept under control and away from the sides of the carriages for their own safety.
The Railway is owned and managed by Brighton & Hove City Council. The recent redevelopment and refurbishment work was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, with some additional support from the Council and the Volk’s Electric Railway Association (VERA).
The trains are made up of different carriages, known as ‘cars’.
- Cars 3 & 4 were built in 1892. Car 3 was recently restored by the Volk’s Electric Railway team, and Car 4 has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.
- Cars 6, 7 & 8 were built in 1901. Car 6 has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.
- Car 9 was built in 1910.
- Car 10 was built in 1926 and has been restored by Alan Keef Ltd as part of the 2017 Heritage Lottery Fund project.